Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Diagnosis

As mentioned in "A New Beginning", I was hoping my haematologist would give me some good news regarding my biopsy. Well, let's just say I was a bit over-zealous and I never got that good news. In fact, all I got out of the doctor's visit was pretty much what I've been getting for the past few months - nothing.


I settled into the doctor's office just after 5pm and quietly prayed for some positive news. All he had to offer was a diagnosis that neither of us found convincing or conclusive. I've been diagnosed with sideroblastic anaemia, a disease which also led to me sister's death almost three years ago. Thankfully, though, the sideroblastic cells have only just surfaced in my bone marrow, meaning the disease is at its early stages. Still, in the past, and most recently, I've responded to Erythropoitein (EPO) injections. If I indeed had sideroblastic anaemia, I wouldn't respond at all. Therefore, both myself and my doctor believe that I might not have it.


After almost half an hour with the haematologist, he has ordered some more tests including heavy metal poisoning (copper, zinc, lead etc.). Regardless of the results, he's referring me to a neurologist for a second opinion, meaning I'm going to go on for the next few weeks without any answers regarding my condition. I'm still optimistic and believe that if I do indeed have sideroblastic anaemia, then it's not as severe as my sister's. Hopefully, the tests will give me some answers and my condition is treatable.


To be continued.....






No comments:

Post a Comment