Saturday 24 September 2011

The Case of the Ex

I think it's time I got a bit more personal with my posts. I've written a fair bit in only two blogs. If you may recall, I mentioned in my first post a certain ex who called me an "angry child". Well, this Angry Child thinks it's high time she vents and tells her side of the story.
Let's call this ex Clyde. Not very creative, I know, but there's a story behind that, too. I won't get into it now. Anyway, Clyde and I first met, albeit briefly, in 2009 through a guy I was seeing. How about we call him Philo? To be honest, I wouldn't even classify Philo as someone I was seeing because we were only getting to know each other. When we met, it was only for a two minute walk to the local station. His name didn't stick in my head back then, but little did I know, that it would some time later.
Fast forward to mid 2010. I was about to move to a new team at work and as it was a long weekend, I decided to go out with some mates from work for some drinks. I sent Philo a text and he showed up with Clyde. This is the turning point for all three of us. From the moment Clyde sat down, he started flirting and messing around. It wasn't until later that night that he had told me that he was engaged. Uh-oh was my first thought. That should have been a sign for things to come, but being the dumb idiot I tend to be, I ignored it. We went our separate ways that night and only exchanged work emails.
Philo went on holidays about a month after that and for Clyde to pass time at work, he'd email me. Emails went back and forth for weeks. About a month later, he tells me that he and his fiancee had broken up. Frankly, I wasn't expecting it, and I knew for a fact that he'd been sick of constantly looking after her. I didn't know what to say or how to react because he didn't say much - only that he was really upset and needed time to work things out.
A few months down the track, and fresh from my trip overseas, I get a lunch invitation from Clyde for a catch up. Until this point, we hadn't exchanged numbers. We met up a few days later and had lunch - nothing fancy and nothing really special was said or done. Only difference was we actually exchanged numbers and started texting from that moment onwards.
I had a work function not long after our lunch rendez-vous and before it started, everyone had opted to meet up for drinks. Once again, Clyde & Philo were invited and came along. That night, a fair few people met them and Clyde was caught checking out one of my married friends. Big mistake, but I didn't say anything. At about midnight, I got a text from him telling me she was hot and what not. I scolded him because she's married and I don't like people talking about my friends that way. My poor friend was in the cab with me when the text from him hit my phone, and I was rendered speechless. My friend ended up speaking with Philo and spilled her guts to him about it. The next day, yours truly gets an email at work from Clyde telling me off for blabbing about the text to Philo. I tried explaining everything to him and he got the dirts. Well, excuse me, Mr Hotshot, I didn't realise someone had hurt your feelings for telling the truth. Thanks to him, my friend and I didn't speak to each other for over 7 weeks. We both moved on from that fiasco, but it's not the point. This was again another sign that I missed.
After my issues with my friend, Clyde & I were texting on a daily basis at least 50-80 times a day. Yeah, I know...WOW! Clyde had ended his rebound relationship weeks earlier and things were going pretty well between us. In fact, I think you can say things were progressing quite rapidly. A few weeks later, Clyde, Philo & I went out for lunch for my birthday. It was an awesome time, and I think, at this point, Philo was starting to feel like an outcast. I can't blame him, but these things do happen. I certainly didn't intend for that to happen.
Just before Christmas, Clyde came clean and admitted that he liked me. I didn't really read too much into it because I wasn't certain how I felt about him myself. He asked me out the first time, but I declined his invitation and made up some bollocks excuse. He didn't ask me again until after New Year. This time, I had no excuse to say no and I felt I was ready to take the next step and see what this guy was like.
Let's skip the dates, dinners, texts, and drinks and just move onto March where things had taken an ugly turn. I had bought a special birthday present for him - something he admitted to have wanted for years. The gift arrived well after his birthday, but at least it made it. For some reason, I had a horrible gut feeling - the same gut feeling I had when my ex of 6 years was cheating on me. I knew for a fact that there was someone else, but I didn't feel the need to confront him. Let's not beat around the bush and just say things were over after that.
We didn't speak for a while after that, but about 2 months later, after things had cooled off between us, I get a random text from Clyde asking how I am. Erm, like you give a toss, pal. Nevertheless, I still replied and said I was doing fine. I have always backed away from everyone when things go bad. I don't text or email anyone when a relationship derails, and this wasn't any different. The only time I'd speak with Clyde is when he would text me. I know better than to trust the same person after screwed over.
Months later, the texts have become more regular and the excuses to send them even lamer. I don't even know why he still texts. He ended it, he wasn't ready and gave me the shit excuse of " I was engaged to be married". Well, BFD, so was I and I didn't give you that. What a cop out.
He checks in on me about 9 weeks ago, and one of my mates from work grabs a hold of my phone and tells him he's my boyfriend. I have to admire the man's courage, but it won't make much of a difference. Clyde fesses to seeing a new chick, but he's bored with her. Surprise, surprise. Been there and done that.
Just last night, he texts me telling me he's bored and on the way home. When I asked how I could help him, all he could say was: "well hahaha". I'm going to quote John McEnroe here because my first thought was " You cannot be serious!" Apparently, the "girl" he is seeing is on holidays. The picture was becoming clearer and it something had hit me right on the head. This is exactly what happened when we were together. I don't know if this guy is stupid, or just horny 24/7, but he gave his game away. When I pieced together all the signs along the way, it all made sense - this guy's a massive player. He's probably one of the best I've come across, but as my best friend always says, I only see the good qualities in people.
Regardless, Clyde's chapter in my life is over and I'm only going to speak to him when he makes the first move. My friend at work asked me why I keep in touch with him. Well, it's not that simple, but I don't have a reason to hate him. I don't have a reason to love him or like him. Actually, I feel sorry for him. He's someone who can't seem to find any stability in his life. I, on the other hand, have had a stable upbringing and always given everything I do 110%. Funnily enough, I hope to help Clyde because he's still a friend and I just want to let him see things differently. I'm sure there's bound to be another post somewhere down the track where I'll mention Clyde again.


If the names Clyde & Philo seem a bit weird, my best advice would be to refer to the Clint Eastwood movies: Any Which Way But Loose & Any Which Way You Can.
Clyde is pretty much a hairy orangutan and Philo is his owner. Nuff said ;) 



No comments:

Post a Comment