Monday 12 December 2011

Starstruck II

As you may have read in my previous post "Starstruck", I was excited about meeting a popular Australian athlete, Speedster, at a book signing. Last week, I was fortunate enough to meet, chat, and have my book signed by one of Australia's leading sportsmen. 

I anxiously waited my turn with one of my colleagues as people proceeded to meet Speedster. I honestly felt as though my legs would let me down and I would collapse because I was trembling quite badly. Don't get any ideas because I've met celebrities before, but Speedster was at the top of my list of athletes to meet. 

My turn finally came and I nervously approached the table. Speedster's first words were: "Hello, girls, how are you both doing today?" I was in heaven - someone please pinch me. I stared back like an imbecile and took in the blonde hair and dark eyes. All I could think was "Damn he's so fine".  Get a grip, Enforcer, he's just as human as everyone else that calls this lovely planet Home. 

My friend and I spent about five minutes chatting with Speedster and taking photos with him. I even mentioned sending him a message on a social network site. I'll never forget the moment he looked up and said, "I know, I read it." At first, I thought he was just saying that, but he won me over when he described my profile and photo. Yep, I was absolutely gobsmacked. Here was a man who probably has a quintillion fans and friends, yet he took the time to read a simple message from an average Jane namely me. It was a truly humbling experience and I was quite flattered by his loyalty to his fans.

At the end of the brief encounter, I was able to take away a photo, an autographed book, and a conversation that I will remember for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment